Our school opened its doors in 1920 in memory of David Hochstein, a Rochester native and world-class violinist who was tragically killed in WWI. The David Hochstein Recital Competition was initiated in 1991 to celebrate and encourage outstanding talent and achievement among young musicians in our community.
The Recital Competition is open to advanced students in grades 10-12 in the nine-county region surrounding Rochester. In order to compete, musicians are required to prepare challenging music in varied styles and perform before juries of noted professional artists.
The winners are presented in recital in the Hochstein Performance Hall and recorded for future broadcast on WXXI-FM Classical 91.5.
Open the performers of piano, strings, woodwinds, brass, percussion, harp, and classical guitar (no vocalists) enrolled in grades 10, 11, and 12 and residing or studying in one of the following counties: Genesee, Livingston, Monroe, Ontario, Orleans, Seneca, Wayne, Wyoming, or Yates.
Previous winners are ineligible.
$500 will be awarded to the winners in each of the following categories:
Category I: Piano
Category II: Strings
Category III: Woodwind, Brass, Percussion, Harp, Guitar
Prize winners will be presented in recital at The Hochstein School in the Spring, Summer, or later in 2021 as health regulations permit, and based on availability of the winners, with the recital to be recorded for later broadcast on WXXI-FM Classical 91.5.*
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Saturday, February 13, 2021
All applications must be submitted electronically at this link to The Hochstein School no later than Saturday, February 13, 2021. No late applications will be considered.
A non-refundable fee of $35 must accompany the application. The application fee can be submitted by check/money order or paid by credit card.
- Checks or money orders should be made out to The Hochstein School with DHRC - student name in the memo line. They should be mailed to The Hochstein School, 50 North Plymouth Avenue, Rochester, NY 14614.
- Credit card payments can be made over the phone by calling the Hochstein office at 585.454.4596. (Please indicate the student name AND that you are paying the DHRC application fee.)
Please ensure that your payment is submitted by the application deadline of 2/13/21.
All auditions will be heard virtually. Audition videos must be submitted by Saturday, March 20, 2021. When the application has been received, the applicant will receive further instructions including a link to Dropbox for the video upload. It is not necessary to have a Dropbox account to submit your video.
Given continued social distancing efforts and the difficulties surrounding group activities, all audition video performances for Categories II and III should be unaccompanied. Please do not submit a video with piano accompaniment.
AUDITION PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS:
- All contestants must perform three compositions (or movements) in contrasting styles. Each piece should be recorded separately, in one take with no edits.
- All three compositions performed must be by different composers.
- Contestants in Categories II and III may perform selections written for either solo instrument or accompanied instrument. However, all audition videos must be submitted without any accompaniment.
- Contestants may provide a scanned copy of their pieces for the judges.
- Piano contestants must perform from memory. Memorization is optional for other instrumentalists.
- Concerto repertoire is not permitted for piano contestants.
- The combined length of the three audition videos should not exceed 15 minutes. If your repertoire is longer than 15 minutes total, please select representative portions of your pieces (i.e., Exposition and Development of a Sonata movement) based on the advice of your teacher.
*In the event of unforeseen technical or other difficulties, Hochstein reserves the right to make final decisions regarding the suitability of the recording for broadcast.