Hochstein's Reopening Information
Updated August 4, 2020 (new information in Red)
In the middle of our 100th year, the pandemic threw a challenge our way and we met it head on. While it’s impossible to know when, we do know there will come a day when this will be over. Until then, rest assured that Hochstein will continue to teach and serve the Greater Rochester community.
When will Hochstein reopen?
We plan to reopen on Wednesday, September 9, 2020 with a hybrid approach of in-person and online instruction.
What informs our decisions?
Determinations are made for each element of our curriculum based on the most current scientific music-specific studies along with NYS and government guidelines. In addition, we will take into account the comfort level of our faculty and students when addressing in-person lessons or classes.
What is available for in-building instruction in September?
- Individual lessons with instruments where students are able to wear masks*
- Small classes where appropriate distancing is possible - masks required
* Some individual lessons, including voice, woodwind, and brass instruments that do not allow for proper masking, will take place online.
Will classes and lessons be available online?
Yes! Hochstein will continue to teach individual lessons online. Online lessons can be arranged with your instructor and the Dean Staff and we are in the process of gathering information from faculty members who wish to continue to teach online. In addition, we are making plans for other classes to be offered online rather than in our building.
What is still "to be determined?"
Details on the below listed groups, classes, and lessons are currently being evaluated based on safety concerns, science-based studies, appropriate social distancing requirements, and other state and local government guidelines. Please check back for updated information.
- Large instrumental ensembles
- Vocal ensembles
- Voice lessons
- Woodwind & Brass instrument lessons
- Suzuki group classes - these classes will now happen on-line. Suzuki individual lessons will be in-person or online
- Music FUNdamental classes
- Dance classes
What to expect when we reopen …
To ensure the safety of our students, faculty, and staff, we ask that everyone entering our building be aware of, and be ready to comply with, the new protocols we have put in place. When enrolled in an in-building class, ensemble, or lesson, detailed procedures will be emailed to you before you enter the building for the first time. This information will include:
- Entry and exit information including drop off and pick up recommendations
- In-building safety guidelines and expectations
Everyone entering Hochstein will be required to wear a mask when they are in the building.
Hochstein will be ready for you! We are:
- Creating comprehensive cleaning and distancing protocols for every area of our building
- Populating our building with hand sanitizers and cleaning wipes
- Evaluating our building capabilities in order to expand our teaching options
In addition, Hochstein will be prepared to adjust immediately if our area experiences increasing infection rates.
Our top priority will always be the well-being of our students, faculty, and staff.
It is clear that continued engagement in music and dance has allowed us all to keep a measure of normalcy in our lives. This is a gift and we will do what is necessary to continue to offer that gift to our students. We can because we are Hochstein.
Thank you and we look forward to seeing you soon,
The Hochstein Team