Business Manager (full-time, exempt)
The Hochstein School is a vibrant organization in Rochester, NY, offering instruction in music, dance, and therapeutic arts. Hochstein annually serves more than 3,500 students from a 12-county region surrounding Rochester. The School is active throughout the community and provides tuitionassistance to more than 50% of its students. The acclaimed Hochstein Performance Hall, located within the school's historic downtown building, hosts frequent concerts and events.
Hochstein seeks a full-time Business Manager who is responsible for overseeing and implementing the financial/business functions for this $3M non-profit organization. The Business Manager reports to the President & Executive Director and supervises two full-time employees - the Payroll and Accounts Payable Specialist and the Accounts Receivable Specialist. The Business Manager is a member of Hochstein Senior Staff and works closely with senior staff colleagues, faculty, members of the Board, and HR/IT contractors.
- General Ledger Accounting functions including month-end balancing and reporting, year-end audit, and maintenance of accurate accounts and ledgers;
- Assist with budget, Form 990, CHAR500 preparation;
- Prepare annual sales and use tax returns;
- Post payroll tuition deductions into registration program (ACTIVENET);
- Manage Hochstein equipment inventories and functions such as computers, copiers, and phone system;
- Manage administration including employee onboarding and background checks, email, and working closely with the School’s benefits/HR broker/contractors to manage the on-line onboarding system (Employee Navigator), STD, LTD, WC claims, and related compliance issues.
- Oversee/support the processing and distribution of payroll by the Payroll & A/P Specialist, including W-2's & 1099’s;
- Oversee/support the accounts payable functions by the Payroll & A/P Specialist & Data Manager;
- Oversee/support the accounts receivable functions by the Accounts Receivable Specialist, including in relation to occasional customer service to students/parents as well as other duties;
- Provide reports and related materials, and participate in monthly Board Finance Committee meetings;
- Assist with various Hochstein special events; and
- Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Interest and commitment to Hochstein’s mission and values
- Experience and expertise in Non-Profit Accounting. (Bachelor's degree in Accounting preferred, but not required.) QuickBooks experience a plus.
- Excellent attention to detail, trustworthiness, and a high degree of accuracy
- Supervisory experience
- Helpful, enthusiastic attitude; ability to work well with the public and a range of stakeholders
- Excellent, professional communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to work as part of a team in a fast-paced environment
- Knowledge of computers and networks
- Ability to carry out duties with minimal supervision
Hours: Monday - Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm/8:00am – 4:00pm, with additional hours as needed during high volume periods.
Salary Range: $55,500 - $65,000
This search in ongoing until the position is filled. To apply, send a cover letter and resume to:
The Hochstein School
ATTN: Hilary Respass, President & Executive Director
50 North Plymouth Avenue
Rochester, NY 14614
email@example.com (e-mail applications preferred)
The Hochstein School is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to afford equal opportunities to all persons employed by or seeking employment with the School. The School prohibits unlawful discrimination or harassment on the basis of an employee’s or applicant’s race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital status, military or veteran status, arrest or conviction record, status as a victim of domestic violence, predisposing genetic characteristics, familial status, the employee’s or the employee’s dependent’s reproductive health decision-making, and any other status protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Please visit these links for information regarding employee rights under the Family Medical Leave Act and Employee Polygraph Protection Act.